Where can I find Jesus in the Old Testament?

John testifies Jesus as logos. And Jesus also says to the Pharisees that before Abraham I am. I have heard many preachers say Jesus was there all throughout the Old Testament times. But Jesus cannot be explicitly found in the OT. Just wondering where I can find Jesus in the OT? Thanks in advance

Well, actually, Jesus is all over the Old Testament, starting in Genesis 3.

But to get a super clear picture of Jesus and His sacrifice for our sins, in fact more clear than even the Gospels explain it, go read Isaiah 52:13 to Isaiah 53:12 – it is the most astounding stark historic, present and future painting of our Savior in the Bible! Start with that one, so you can get over your shock of seeing Jesus there.

I encourage you to follow either Thompson Chain Reference style links to find more, or try this as a beginning list:

https://www.jesusfilm.org/blog-and-stories/old-testament-prophecies.html <== click on this link to see first a general count of prophecies regarding Jesus in the Old Testament and a little statement about the probability of these being fulfilled. Enjoy the read! Then it starts with Genesis 3 I was telling about early in my reply.

Have fun! It’s a miraculous mind-blower. There literally is no author on earth who can write a story so well held together, congruent, flowing and complete than the Author of the Word of God. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

Here’s a taste, from Genesis 3 passage of scripture:

Genesis 3:15
> 15 And I will put enmity
> between you and the woman,
> and between your offspring and hers;
> he will crush your head,
> and you will strike his heel.”

Commentary explaining this passage:

> NKJV MacArthur Study Bible

> 3:15 After cursing the physical serpent, God turned to the spiritual serpent, the lying seducer, Satan, and cursed him. bruise your head…bruise His heel. This “first gospel” is prophetic of the struggle and its outcome between “your seed” (Satan and unbelievers, who are called the Devil’s children in John 8:44) and her seed (Christ, a descendant of Eve, and those in Him), which began in the garden. In the midst of the curse passage, a message of hope shone forth—the woman’s offspring called “He” is Christ, who will one day defeat the Serpent. Satan could only “bruise” Christ’s heel (cause Him to suffer), while Christ will bruise Satan’s head (destroy him with a fatal blow). Paul, in a passage strongly reminiscent of Gen. 3, encouraged the believers in Rome, “And the God of peace will crush Satan under your feet shortly” (Rom. 16:20). Believers should recognize that they participate in the crushing of Satan because, along with their Savior and because of His finished work on the cross, they also are of the woman’s seed. For more on the destruction of Satan, see Heb. 2:14, 15; Rev. 20:10.

1 Like

Thank you @Sunami_Carpenter for your reply. Yes I have heard these passages. But how can you know it is about Jesus?

@Ebenesar-Arun I’m sorry if I did not make it clear. On my screen, the only passage (just one verse actually) is in bold. The following paragraph is in italic, because it is not a “passage”. It is a commentary from a MacArthur Study Bible on that one verse. I hope that helps.

1 Like