Which is what true repentance is it is admitting that you are in bondage you cannot be free on your own and you need the Lord to free you

I’ve heard people say before that repentance is to turn away from sin. But that doesn’t make any sense because there’s various Scriptures it says we are in bondage to sin. Bondage is like being in prison. Can somebody just turn away from being in prison. No they can only be set free. Which is what true repentance is it is admitting that you are in bondage you cannot be free on your own and you need the Lord to free you. From bondage to sin. Those who believe it’s just means turning away. Usually we’ll say that they’re just trying to stop themselves and believe God is helping them. So they really don’t need a savior then they just want an assistant and that’s what they believe God is. Did it even say he gives me the Holy Spirit to help me stop myself from sin. He doesn’t do that the Holy Spirit cannot dwell on a filthy vessel… true repentance is acknowledging that you are terrible and God is right true and good. And you are not at all right with him and you cry out and ask him to make you right with him. That is true repentance. If one has true repentance the Lord will reveal his son to them and they will believe that the son has paid the price so that they may be free from sin. People may also say well repentance is just feeling bad about your sinfulness. That sounds more like remorse or regret. That’s not repentance. In the process of renewing our mind and adding knowledge to our faith we really need to learn what is the proper definition of words. What is God say that word means. Cuz the world will always try to define the things of God and they will twist it. That’s why it’s best to go to God and ask him he will reveal it to you through the Holy Spirit what the word really means.

Daniel Hutch

1 Like

My understanding according to biblical readings is that we are sinners but despite this, we are still loved by God endlessly. That part of growing to be with him is that we are able to feel repentance and work to make better our mistakes. It’s our human nature to sin. Our goal is to overcome that with each day.

Mia Mohya

We are all sinners and anyone in denial is delusional. But, we can tread the narrow path and be cautious and recognise triggers or situations that lead to our sins. We can also be repentant at once and try better next time.

David Brewer

Jesus told the woman at the well to go and sin no more. We are not good we cannot do that but if we put our trust in Christ through him living in us we can.

Bunny Bateman LaBeau

stop doing the reptitive lifestyle sins.

Robert Tapley

The literal meaning of repentance is "to turn and go the other direction."It’s more turning toward God and forsaking all else. Which results in turning from sin. But sin isn’t the focus. God is.

Mary Ellen Nissley

Im sorry but your words are like twisted you said true repentance is acknowledging your terrible that brings about feelings such as regret and guilt so on because we are all human but then you also said feeling regret and remorse isnt true repentance i think it all works together

Emilio Deleon

When I’ve prayed forgiveness, and I know I’m forgiven, why does whatever I’ve already given to The LORD return to my mind? Is it of Holy Spirit, or do I rebuke satan because I’ve already prayed forgiveness for that that I have brought before The LORD?Respond with scripture when possible, please?

Renee Teeple

Notice in,”Mark 1:15 what Jesus said… “The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand: repent ye, and believe the gospel.” Notice that Jesus DIDN’T say “repent ye, and forsake your sins.” No, rather, He said, “repent ye, and believe the gospel.”The Gospel is what the change of mind is about. The great meaning of the word metanoia “repent “ -(G3340) is that is applies to anything and everything that hinders a person from believing the Gospel. Sin can only be forgiven by repented faith not behavior because we can do nothing without Christ, Galatians 2:20.

Mary Horrigan

I wish we could come together and take the wind out of their sails by simply saying: “Oh, ok, you are a legalist, that’s not scriptural.”. We should try to narrow these fringe types down to a simple formula. "Oh. you believe you can lose your salvation? Oh, I see, you are a “Law-Keeper. That’s not scriptural. Conversation over, if you do not want to acknowledge scripture.” I had a guy repeatedly telling me Romans 8–“Those who live according to the flesh have their minds set on what the flesh desires; but those who live in accordance with the Spirit have their minds set on what the Spirit desires.” He REFUSED to acknowledge the following verse 9 which states that–“You, however, are not in the realm of the flesh but are in the realm of the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God lives in you.” This verse proves that those who live according to the flesh are NOT indwelt with the holy Spirit and ergo, they are not Christian people at all. NOT people indwelt with The Spirit, they are the UNbelievers. He just kept glossing over that and would not comment or discuss it, so I told him as much and dismissed him.

Benton Warr

My advice would to be to not take scripture so literally. It was written by different authors to different audiences thousands of years ago.

Brett Sheppard

If the Son sets you free, you are freed indeed from both the guilt and the power of sin,., so that neither one any longer has dominion over you… then and only then are we free indeed.

Clarence Rolin