Why Are Non-Believers Sometimes Kinder than Christians?

Our neighbors are some of the kindest and most moral people we know, and yet they don’t have any use for God. Unfortunately, another neighbor claims to be a Christian, but is one of the grumpiest people I’ve ever met. How do you explain this?

1 Like

Not all christian is true Christian.

Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. Matthew 7:21

Some unbelievers are more kind than Christians in human’s sight, but God doesn’t see in that way. Christians are elected by God to get the salvation in Jesus Christ, they have become new person in Jesus. And in the guidance of God, they will become better and better. And with the truth and the love form God, they will show the real kindness that bring the world peace and hope and joy.

Their kind cannot save them.
Even though they are kind, they still should go to the hell.
You will be more happy.

1 Like

Not knowing either of your neighbors mentioned (‘no use for God’ neighbor verses ‘claim to be Christian’ neighbor who is crabby) I doubt I can answer truly effectively.

However, I CAN share what came to mind immediately for me, a sinner, saved through no goodness of her own! First of all, YOU try being a saint. All day. Just one day. That would make anyone crabby! (Trust me I tried, couldn’t do it and was exceedingly crabby about it and everything else!) So if your Christian neighbor has been taught the highly contagious lie that they must do works to get to heaven, this might be your answer. And by the way, that’s not Christianity, though they have never been told otherwise. Or are, perhaps struggling to learn the new way, which is total reliance in Christ’s life, death and Resurrection for their salvation and sanctification (a five dollar word for turning into a more loving human being overall).

Second of all, if there is no God (meaning the “no use for God” neighbor), why try to do anything that is difficult like being “Christian” in everything you do? Just do what comes naturally. If your neighbor is naturally generous and kind, it’s not something they are doing to please anyone - let alone God - but their own natural inclinations. There are many people like this.

And third of all,

Romans 2:14 New American Standard Bible (NASB)
14 For when Gentiles who do not have the Law do instinctively the things of the Law, these, not having the Law, are a law to themselves,

or more completely

Romans 2:12-16 Common English Bible (CEB)
12 Those who have sinned outside the Law will also die outside the Law, and those who have sinned under the Law will be judged by the Law. 13 It isn’t the ones who hear the Law who are righteous in God’s eyes. It is the ones who do what the Law says who will be treated as righteous. 14 Gentiles don’t have the Law. But when they instinctively do what the Law requires they are a Law in themselves, though they don’t have the Law. 15 They show the proof of the Law written on their hearts, and their consciences affirm it. Their conflicting thoughts will accuse them, or even make a defense for them, 16 on the day when, according to my gospel, God will judge the hidden truth about human beings through Christ Jesus.

I hope this helps your astoundingly opposite neighbors make more sense. What you are seeing is real. And something above might fit though only you will know if any of them do.

It’s a good question.

What you said is true.
We were justified by God, we are in the process of sanctification.
We have our sin, and weakness. And God will lead us to His glory.
But for some unbelievers they are kind, maybe they are just moral for their own glory or morality.