Why did God not elect Esau but Jacob?

Romans 9:13 Just as it is written: “Jacob I loved, but Esau I hated.”
Does it mean God is unfair?

coz Esau sold his right of the first-born son to Jacob, so he can inherit the spiritual blessing.

And Esau sold his birthright for a bowl of meat! A meal!

1, Esau despised his birthright.

【Gen.25:34】
Then Jacob gave Esau some bread and some lentil stew. He ate and drank, and then got up and left. So Esau despised his birthright.

2, Esau went wrong in marriage.

【Gen.26:34-35】
When Esau was forty years old, he married Judith daughter of Beeri the Hittite, and also Basemath daughter of Elon the Hittite.
They were a source of grief to Isaac and Rebekah.

1 Like

Just ran into an enlightening book that concerns Esau. It’s called “Obadiah” and it only one chapter long. Cool, no? However, it might add to comprehension about God’s feeling regarding Esau.

If you don’t like NASB, once you get to the link above, there is a drop down menu where you can choose which version you prefer. There are too many versions there for me to list, so most likely, you’ll find whatever you prefer. If you’re not sure, here is a handy scale as to how accurate various versions are:

Esau has the first-birth right, if he has faith in God and has the willing to inherit the history of the family of faith, he would be greatly used by God. But he seeks in the outside world, and looks down upon his first-birth right. For the food, he even sold this right. So it’s he who first goes astray from God, but not God is unfair.

1 Like

It doesn’t mean God is unfair.
First, God is God. He can choose whoever He likes.
But God is just and holy. He always makes perfect choice.
Second, when you look at Esau and Jacob which one do you like? who is the better one to inherit the history.
Esau had the birthright, but Jacob knew the meaning of birthright, so he wanted to keep the faith of his family.
Even though God gave blessing to Esau first, blessing is not decided, it goes to the one who desires God.