Why did God say: David is the one who fits my heart

David also committed a very serious sin. Why does God say that David is a person of my heart?

He has faith in God’s love.

Humble – Lowborn men are but a breath, the highborn are but a lie; if weighed on a balance, they are nothing; together they are only a breath. Psalm 62:9

Reverent – I call to the Lord, who is worthy of praise, and I am saved from my enemies. Psalm 18:3

Respectful – Be merciful to me, O Lord, for I am in distress; my eyes grow weak with sorrow, my soul and my body with grief. Psalm 31:9

Trusting – The LORD is my light and my salvation– whom shall I fear? The LORD is the stronghold of my life– of whom shall I be afraid? Psalm 27:1

Loving – I love you, O Lord, my strength. Psalm 18:1

Devoted – You have filled my heart with greater joy than when their grain and new wine abound. Psalm 4:7

Recognition – I will praise you, O Lord, with all my heart; I will tell of all your wonders. Psalm 9:1

Faithful – Surely goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the LORD forever. Psalm 23:6

Obedient – Give me understanding, and I will keep your law and obey it with all my heart. Psalm 119:34

Repentant – For the sake of your name, O Lord, forgive my iniquity, though it is great. Psalm 25:11

David’s example is a great road map for how we are to live our life.

source: 10 Reasons David Is Called "A Man After God's Own Heart" - Ron Edmondson

First of all, you need to see that Abraham sinned, Isaac sinned, Jacob sinned, the Israelites sinned, and after a bit, David sins.

Perhaps going back to Genesis 3 would help? All have fallen short of the glory of God. None knows Him or searches for Him. Like sheep, we have all gone astray, etc. If you don’t recognize any of these as Bible quotes, I highly recommend doing what I did: read it for yourself. It is explained.

When you have read David’s whole story (start in 1 Sam 17 through the second book of Samuel) then read the Psalms, you will see David’s heart and fully comprehend this. That’s how I had to do it.

1 Like

Only the true faith can please God, not our deeds. For we are not perfect, we always do sin and go astray, but God will receive us if we repent and obey his word. Actually, there are deep sins in human’s heart. Its root is that we don’t receive God really into our life and let him become our guidance. God has restored the relationship between him and us through Jesus Christ, what we should do is to receive this gift and also show God our conditional faith, that means whatever we sinned, don’t doubt God’s love through Jesus Christ, but always come back, don’t become missing sheep again. God bless~