Why did Jesus ask the disciples to cross the sea when the storm was about to come?

Why did Jesus ask the disciples to cross the sea when the storm was about to come? The storm gave the disciple another experience of God’s Lordship over everything over our lives. It’s another lesson from God: “Why are you afraid? It’s time to trust me more”

God is giving each of us who are facing difficulties right now the same lesson. We might ask, God why did you lead me down this path? His answer is the same towards us today: “Why are you afraid? It’s time to trust me more”

And he said to them, “Why are you afraid, O you of little faith?” Then he rose and rebuked the winds and the sea, and there was a great calm.And the men marveled, saying, “What sort of man is this, that even winds and sea obey him?” - Matthew 8:26-27

1 Like

Not all of us will have to face physical storms of this kind. But Jesus said that we would all face the storms of life (Matthew 7:25–27). Life is not easy. The storms of life are many and varied. They include illness, opposition, pressures at work, unemployment, relationship difficulties, disappointment, bereavement and persecution. You will face trials and temptations, and maybe even full-on attack from the enemy.

Jesus did not promise smooth sailing, but He did promise a safe passage. I would rather be in a storm with Jesus than anywhere else without Him. So, if you are in a storm of life, my advice to you is to remember that Jesus will get you to the other side. Trust Him. He will not abandon you or let you down. You have His Word on it. For He Himself has said, “I will never leave you nor forsake you” Hebrews 13:5

No one is exempt from the storms of life. But just as the disciples who initially feared the storm later came to revere Christ more, so the storms we face can bring us to a deeper knowledge of God. “Who is this,” the disciples pondered, “even the wind and the waves obey him! Through our trials we can learn that no storm is big enough to prevent God from accomplishing His will . While we may not understand why God allows trials to enter our lives, we thank Him that through them we can come to know who He is. We live to serve Him because He has preserved our lives.

@FaithinGod: All of us encounter a lot of storms in life…Some are just like small waves, while the others are big ones… but the sail is worthwhile if we have God along the way…All we have to do is be firm when it strikes and seek God everytime…

This passage is still very much alive to this day. This is just a clear illustration of how God works, how God manifests Himself among His people. We may look at the storm in this passage as trials and sufferings in life we are currently facing, hardships which in our own mind are impossible to conquer. But Jesus Christ the same savior He was before still encourages us to have faith in Him, telling us not to belittle Him and to trust Him that He is larger than the storm we are facing.