Why didn't Jesus pick priests and no woman in 12 apostles?

“Why didn’t Jesus pick priests and no woman in 12 apostles?”

the Religious leaders and the pharisees filled with arrogance those days, God always goes to the humble, hungry and thirsty people the arrogant nothing to do with God
Luke 1:53 He has filled the hungry with good things and sent the rich away with empty hands.

Whatever Jesus did he did not do by his own but each and everything he did by the guidelines of the Father, so i Believe the Father knows everything like how to setup the foundation, who to chose and how to choose
in my opinion Jesus chose 12 Apostles as the representation of the 12 tribe of Israel.
those days women used like material but Jesus valued them very much as the daughters of God.

An accurate understanding of the role of the twelve disciples during the ministry of Jesus is essential for a proper understanding of ministry in the church, especially in view of the fact that this group chosen by Jesus was exclusively comprised of Jewish males
The symbolism of the number twelve is self-evident. Jesus made clear a relation between the old covenant people represented by its twelve tribes and the people of the new community represented by the twelve apostles, with the latter taking precedence over the former (Luke 22:29-30). The ancient nation of Israel had begun with the patriarchs, the fathers of the twelve tribes. The new Israel, the spiritual descendants of Abraham, began with the twelve disciples. They were the new covenant counterpart to the twelve patriarchs. They formed the transition group between the past and the future, between the ancient people and the new community.

It appears that Jesus attracted a band of followers which included both men and women. There appears to have been an inner circle which included Peter, James, and John, who have the most written about them, and who accompanied Jesus in the Transfiguration story.

The other apostles have bit parts, and their names vary across the Gospels. Several of them get no mention in the Gospel of John.

Also prominently mentioned are Mary Magdalene, Martha, and Mary, mother of Jesus among the followers. Aside from the resurrection stories, Mary Magdalene, Joanna (the wife of Herod’s steward!), and Susanna are mentioned in Luke as following him and providing financial resources. (See Luke 8:1-3)

So why twelve? Twelve is highly symbolic of the original 12 tribes of Israel. There were 12 sons of Jacob (renamed Israel after wrestling with God). So there had to be 12. And they were sons, so they had to be men. This was highly symbolic that the project of Jesus was tied in with the history of the Jewish people. So I look at “the twelve” as a literary device used in the Gospels to show God’s providence in a literary way.

A more interesting question is “why were the women mentioned at all in a culture that gave women no standing?”

All the accounts of the empty tomb originate with the women, who were the least reliable witnesses of the day. They could not even testify in court. To me this countercultural fact indicates that the women were involved in a big way. Perhaps the men had fled to Galilee to save their own skins. But in any event, the women were so prominent in the resurrection story that authors writing several decades later had no choice but to include them.

1 Like

The social mores of first-century Palestine made it impossible/scandalous for an unaccompanied Jewish woman to follow Jesus, an unmarried man, as he wandered around in the Galilee to preach.

It’s kinda like asking why none of Jesus’ twelve disciples were Chinese.

Or maybe he didn’t intend the Chinese to assume leadership positions in Christian ministry?

We have a confused idea of the term, “apostle”. Although 12 of the apostles were men who were selected for a specific task, there were clearly others who were considered apostles, and some were female.

Junia (Romans 16) is clearly designated a female apostle by Paul.

The fact that Paul struggled against “false apostles” (cf. 2 Corinthians 11:13) also shows that the concept of “apostle” was much broader than just the 12. Otherwise, any church could just look up its Handbook of Apostles and see whether someone claiming to be an apostle was on the list or not.

Furthermore, there is a sense in which all believers are appointed as apostles. In John 17: 18, Jesus prays, καθώς ἐμέ ἀπέστειλας εἰς τόν κόσμον, κἀγώ ἀπέστειλα αὐτούς εἰς τόν κόσμον… that is, “as you apostled me into the world, so I also apostled them into the world.” As the prayer of John 17 is directed to the 12 and those who believe through them, this can validly be applied in the sense of a “lay apostolate” (to use the term popular among Roman Catholics.)

However, out of the circle of apostles, Jesus chose 12 in a deliberate parallel to the 12 patriarchs of Israel, who were all sons. In many ways Jesus’ public ministry parallels the history of the nation, and constitutes a correction of what the nation failed in. So, from these 12 “New Patriarchs” he establishes the Kingdom rule of God, to which the 12 original patriarchs pointed.

i do not know, this question is very hard to answer.

God has His good will.