Why Eve disobeyed the command of God, but God blamed Adam?

Genesis 3:11 And he said, “Who told you that you were naked? Have you eaten from the tree that I commanded you not to eat from?”

Genesis 3:12 The man said, “The woman you put here with me—she gave me some fruit from the tree, and I ate it.”

Because God gave the command to Adam first, but Adam didn’t taught Eve well, also he, as the representative of the family, when he found Eve ate the fruits of the tree, he didn’t bring her to repent before God, but also ate it. It made God very disappointed.

1 Like

Funny looks like God has special expect for man.

The command not to eat the fruit of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil was given by God to Adam (Genesis 2:16–17), and ends up quite a bit differently when repeated by Eve to Satan (Genesis 3:2–3). There is no record of God instructing Eve, so it seems that the discrepancies were either in Adam’s retelling of the command to Eve, or in Eve’s misconstruing what was said by Adam. As the Bible does not record that God gave the command to Eve, I indeed speculated that Adam might have told Eve not to touch the tree, but in using the words “it appears”, “something like”, “suggest”, “further suggests” I ensured that readers would know I was presenting a suggestion, not a fact. So God blamed Adam first.

1 Like

Scripture teaches of the headship of the husband in marriage (cf Eph 5:22; 1 Peter 3:1; Titus 5:2; Col 3:18). When God ordained marriage he stated that “A man shall leave his father and mother and cling to his wife and the two of them shall be one” (Gen 2:24). Hence it is the man who leads the marriage and is its head. But this makes him finally responsible for takes place in that marriage.

1 Like

Adam had been placed in the Garden and, even prior to Eve’s creation, been told to work the garden and keep it (Gen 2:15). Some translations say he is to work in and guard it. After the creation of Eve and at the moment of temptation we see that Eve has something of a long conversation with the devil wherein he spars with her to cause her to be tempted and ultimately to fall.

Now during this time where is Adam? He would seem to be far off since nothing is said by him. But the text quite remarkably discloses that he was standing right next to her the whole time she converses with Satan! (Gen 3:6). Why this silence from Adam? One would expect Adam to say to Satan, “Why are you speaking with my wife?….What are you saying to her?……Why are you trying to mislead her….?” One would further expect Adam to retort what Satan was saying and defend his wife from this temptation and error. Surely Eve should not have had to answer the Devil all on her own. She does well to begin but then grows weak under the onslaught. Why does Adam not step in to protect and augment his wife’s strength? Why does he not assist her in this struggle and help defend against this threat? Is his silence not part of the first sin? Is his omission not integral to the fall of them both?

Adam had an obligation to rebuff Satan and guard his wife and the garden. But he is passive. As head of the house he has the first responsibility to defend his household from all error, sin and threat. Eve should not have had to face the devil and answer him alone. He was worse than useless, his silence gave strength to Satan’s arguments. Eve is not without sin but Adam has failed miserably to assist Eve and provide the support she needs and deserves.

3 Likes

The order in which they each ate the fruit seems secondary to the fact that they both were committed to disobeying God. And Adam’s inaction to thwart the snake, and protect his wife, was proof enough of that he intended to disobey God concurrently with his wife. It seems they had both eaten from the Tree of Knowledge in their hearts well before the fruit touched their lips.

Adam was God’s human prototype. Adam was first to sin.

1 Like

Eve doesn’t get the whole blame for the Fall. Adam shares equally–indeed, it’s more his fault than hers because it was his responsibility to stand in her place before God and offer himself for her sins–just as Christ did for all of us. He didn’t do that. Instead he put all the blame on his wife. St. Paul teaches quite clearly that Adam was at fault and that we needed the Second Adam to redeem us.

I believed Adam and Eve were equally guilty. I have never been taught otherwise.

“Wherefore as by one man [Adam,] sin entered into this world, and by sin death; and so death passed upon all men, in whom all have sinned.” - Romans 5:12

Of course she’s also to blame. She sinned first. But it was Adam who represented the race and HE is the one ultimately responsible.

It has nothing to do with her being a woman. That’s feminist nonsense. Men and women are equally capable of sin.

1 Like

@apple3 Adam was responsible to protect Eve.
Since they were under grace at the time, Adam was not prudent.
So he had a sin of omission as Eve sinned, therefore they sinned
at the same time. It became worse when she offered and he accepted
the forbidden fruit of disobedience, deciding good or evil by themselves.

1 Like

Two points. Adam was instructed by God to Keep the garden. Keep didn’t just mean “Look after the plants and trees” The word Keep also had an element of ‘Guard’ the garden. If God told him to guard the garden, then it stands to reason that Adam would have known that there was a danger which the garden must be guarded from. Well, as we know, Adam didn’t guard the garden .

2nd point According to the Bible narrative while Satan was tempting his wife to sin
Adam was there beside her and did nothing to intervene. When she turned around and handed him the forbidden fruit he simply went along.

God had spoken directly to Adam and Adam failed to follow God’s instruction
" To whom much is given, much will be expected"

3 Likes

I don’t think Adam bears any greater responsibility than Eve.
They both made the same mistake.
Neither forced the other to sin. And neither tried to protect the other FROM sin.

Firstly, Adam knew the fruit came from the tree (i.e. … she gave me some fruit from the tree

Secondly, he started blaming the woman and God! (i.e. The woman you put here … noticed the words “The woman” and “you” if he only wanted to blame the woman he could’ve just said, the woman)

1 Like

Amen

God blamed Adam and Eve at the same time. They both know the command but commit sin and go against God.

Adam was the first person of human, so had responsibility to teach and obey the will of God.

Where did you get these ideas? Just came to you? “Adam didn’t taught Eve well”. Where does it say that?
And “It made God very disappointed.” !!! Are you serious!? God CURSED the serpent who tempted Eve, cursed Eve who ate the fruit and cursed Adam for eating the fruit when she tempted him to do so. Then God sent them out of the Garden of Eden.

That’s a bit more than “very disappointed”.
This is The Bible section. I think it’s rather important that if you are answering a question in The Bible section you do not make stuff up that has no Biblical basis.

@lightning Well, you’ve got the Bible citation in there! That’s good. However, it argues with your point.

You wrote that "The command not to eat the fruit of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil was given by God to Adam (Genesis 2:16–17), "

Genesis 2:16-17 NKJV

16 And the Lord God commanded the man, saying, “Of every tree of the garden you may freely eat; 17 but of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil you shall not eat, for in the day that you eat of it you shall surely die.”

You wrote “and ends up quite a bit differently when repeated by Eve to Satan (Genesis 3:2–3).”

Here is Genesis 3:2-3 NKJV
2 And the woman said to the serpent, “We may eat the fruit of the trees of the garden; 3 but of the fruit of the tree which is in the midst of the garden, God has said, ‘You shall not eat it, nor shall you touch it, lest you die.’”

There is no “quite a bit differently” there. It’s very clear, which tree, and what they should not do and what happens if they do.

Perhaps you meant that when Satan (or the serpent) repeated it back to Eve it came out quite a bit differently?

Genesis 3:4-6 NKJV
4 Then the serpent said to the woman, “You will not surely die. 5 For God knows that in the day you eat of it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil.”
6 So when the woman saw that the tree was good for food, that it was pleasant to the eyes, and a tree desirable to make one wise, she took of its fruit and ate. She also gave to her husband with her, and he ate.

Just wondering. That’s the only place and the first place, God’s words are twisted.