Why is my faith so up and down?

I don’t understand myself. Sometimes I believe very strongly in Jesus and feel close to Him, but then it all fades away, and I’m filled with all kinds of doubts. Why can’t I have a strong faith, like some of my friends do?

Sometimes, we feel that God is unreal because we have never met or experienced Him for ourselves. The Bible says that God wants us to know Him and that we can do this through the death and resurrection of His Son, Jesus Christ.

I think it’s normal, coz we are not perfect. True Christians experience doubts, of course. Sometimes this is because we are not praying or studying the Bible and our spiritual life has dried up. Or it can be because we don’t have fellowship with other Christians; perhaps we don’t - or can’t - attend church. We all need like-minded friends and spiritual support and it can be very lonely without that.

1 Like

Doubts will come at some time to everyone. We need to take what measures we can to ensure that it is not because we are emotionally ‘down’ or because we have neglected our relationship with God. God is greater than our doubts and good is stronger than evil. The Bible promises us,

Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways, acknowledge Him and He shall direct your paths. (Proverbs 3:5-6)

1 Like

AMEN

I want to encourage you to involve yourself as much as possible with a local church. It would be good to speak to a Christian leader or another mature Christian whom you trust about the issue of doubt. I know they would be delighted to help you and to offer prayer and support as you continue your spiritual journey.

Think of it this way. We all need food and exercise to stay healthy.The same is true spiritually.

God has given us His Word, the Bible. He also has given us the privilege of prayer, welcoming us into His presence at any time. In addition, He has given us other believers (especially through the church) to encourage and help us. Make each of these part of your spiritual “diet” every day. The Bible says, “Like newborn babies, crave pure spiritual milk, so that by it you may grow up in your salvation” (1 Peter 2:2).

I think we are shaken because we do not have a conviction of faith in God. It is one of these things that we suspect. In the Apostle Paul, there was conviction and faith toward God. He emphasized the belief of faith several times in the Bible. When we look at God in our lives and go to faith, there is no shaking or doubt in us.

Therefore whosoever heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock:
And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; [Matthew 7: 24-25] It is a matter of faith,

This way, when we build our lives and faith firmly on the rock of faith, we can go unshaken in any tribulation and suffering.

My small offering:

Mark 9:24 New King James Version (NKJV)

24 Immediately the father of the child cried out and said with tears, “Lord, I believe; help my unbelief!”

Also, see Five Bible Passages to Read When You're Doubting God - Bible Gateway Blog

When we are justified by faith, faith is only the beginning, and the path of sanctification needs to go. We need to rely on God better.
Faith comes from God and constantly connects with God. Listen to God’s word more and more, join the service, and unite with the pastor.
Belief is a process. Do not be discouraged. We have also passed through this stage.
Romans 10:17
Consequently, faith comes from hearing the message, and the mesage is heard through the word of Christ.
Constantly establish faith in God’s Word and immerse in God’s Word. Also pray with the Word of God. Listening to and praying are two wings of faith. They also go to church to attend church. God bless you.

@Jonathon I experiencing this one also. In my own words i think because of our problems sometimes we are doubt having a difficulty in life. And we are listening to God. Or maybe we want something and our God did not gave it to us. There are so many things in life that we need to consider first before having a up or down faith to our God.

Hello @Jonathon All of us experiencing up and down in life its normal because God use trials and our problems to make us stronger and our faith in Him Just hold to His promises if you feel no one is there for you in your fight your wrong my friend God is always there and He cares.

Hello, dear @goodtree
How are you doing? Did your doubts persisted? Or have you managed to overcome them?!
Telling you and advice, faith is that faith, is believing to see. Your problem is (or was) that you want to see to believe, this is why your faith varies so much. And that’s not faith, that’s credibility. You won’t get that from God, he’s our Father and Creator, he already gave us life, he doesn’t own us anything and yet he loves us and wants to be better versions of ourselves.
What you must do is internalize, and think “believe to see”, after you accept that phrase you’ll never doubt you faith ever again. In fact, it will grow stronger by each day.
Kind regards, Luis Guerrero.

Part of life is becoming lost and confused. Same with our faith. Maybe you are confused because a lot of things has been going on and bothering you or you have been overthinking a lot. But being confused doesn’t mean you do not believe in God. Maybe you want proof for his works, or maybe you’ve been waiting for something to happen. When you’re praying for something for such a long time and God didn’t respond, maybe there are reasons why he is delaying it. Maybe, it is not the right time yet, or he has better plans for you or you are not yet ready for the things you prayed for. And that is faith. Faith is believing in something we do not see. Faith makes us believe in God’s plan. And trusting his plans will never fail us. For now, its okay to not know everything just yet.