Why is there depression?

Why do people get depressed? Did God let them be? Or is that a way of God telling us to be closer to Him?

The Bible verses for depression are a reminder that no matter what, God is there to lift you up. Mental health struggles are a real burden, but they are not a burden you should carry alone. You can turn to the Bible as a source of spiritual support as you address your struggles with depression

1 Like

@barpat thank you for that :yellow_heart: May God bless you! Have a wonderful day :yellow_heart:

Depression can creep up into anyone without warning. I know of good hearten Christians who have gotten depressed so bad. I can’t think of one verse that the addresses the issue, but I do now that God’s good news in Jesus promises a life of joy and fulfillment. If you’re feeling depressed, stop looking at yourself and start focusing on other people. Reach out and help those who are in need.

1 Like

People get depressed because they are overthinking to a lot of things, they get weaker each day if their plans doesn’t went well as they planned. Does God allowed you to feel it? I guess it has nothing to do with God, because you are in control of your emotions. The only thing God has is, if in times of downfall; he is absolutely there for you to lift you up and give you courage to stand up again.

1 Like

Some people who have episodes of major depression also have episodes of relatively high energy or irritability. They may sleep far less than normal, and may dream up grand plans that could never be carried out. The severe form of this is called “mania” or a manic episode. Psychotic symptoms also occur in mania. If a person has milder symptoms of mania and does not lose touch with reality, it is called “hypomania” or a hypomanic episode.

Always talk to God to ease the pain. If you don’t trust no one.

1 Like

Hi, @eestioko! Thank you so much for responding! It is truly nice to help others in need :yellow_heart:

Thank you so much for that @MakkaPakka. Yes, I agree. We are in control of our own emotions! :+1:

Thank you so much for that helpful information @zayn22! God bless you!

This may not be directly related to depression but in this scenario, we’ve seen one of the reasons is fear.

25The disciples went and woke Him, saying, “Lord, save us! We are perishing!” 26“You of little faith,” Jesus replied, “why are you so afraid?” Then He got up and rebuked the winds and the sea, and it was perfectly calm.

In this event, the disciples got scared because they don’t trust God, and lost their hope.

Even great men of God such as Elijah got depressed.

1Kings 19:4 But he himself went a day’s journey into the wilderness, and came and sat down under a juniper tree: and he requested for himself that he might die; and said, It is enough; now, O LORD, take away my life; for I am not better than my fathers.

He asked God to kill him because he got afraid of a woman named Jezebel.

So in these scenarios, these men of God suffered momentary depression because of fear and hopelessness. To counter that, we have to constantly pray and believe in God. The more we suffer the more we pray earnestly.

1 Like

Thank you, @yevillanueva! God bless you! :yellow_heart: