Work Vs. God

How not to become a slave of work? Just recently, I declined attending the conference for Planetshakers here in Manila for just a day because I have to attend work (deadlines) I have a responsibility at work. Is it a right decision? I bought the tickets ahead of time but unfortunately, i have to prioritize work. Is it considered slavery? or just simply a given responsibility.

This year i plan to attend another conference on November. I pray that i could finally attend this.
The reason why I wanted to attend these conferences is that I wanted to get re-connection to God. I wanted to fully praise Him and lift my all to Him. I wanted to prioritize Him. But the timing is not right. What to do? I don’t want to be irresponsible with my duties but I also wanted to prioritize God.

2 Likes

we should balance our work and faith well. actually, in my opinion, our work also is God’s calling, we should do it well and glorify God in every position where we are. At the same time, we should check the priority of our life oftenly, whether we put God first or not.

2 Likes

Thank you for your response. Yes we have to balance work with strengthening faith. I see to it that every week aside from attending church, i also attend our weekly bible study. Sometimes i get to miss our session because of work. But i am making up for it the next time around.

3 Likes

No matter what we do, do it for God’s glory. and God doesn’t look at us as people, people look the appearance, but God looks at the heart. I feel it’s very important to check the motion when we make a decision to do something or not.

2 Likes

To work is an inevitable duty of anyone and must be done in the glory of God. I graduated from a university that embodies the teachings of Saint Josemaría Escrivá. The gist is that wherever we are shouldn’t limit our devotion. Not choosing to attend that conference doesn’t mean that God takes lesser priority in your life. The fact that you’re worried you might not be fulfilling your role as a Christian already shows your devotion.

Whatever you choose to do, I believe you’re doing it with God in mind. Now that’s some real love to our Creator. Good luck!

“To study, to work: these are inescapable duties for all Christians. They are means of defending ourselves from the enemies of the Church and of attracting, with our professional prestige, so many souls who, being good, fight in isolation. They are most fundamental weapons for whoever wants to be an apostle in the middle of the world.”
-483, Josemaria Escriva

1 Like

@cocoyoongie Sometimes i’ve been a slave of work. In my profession i am on call by 24/7. but if we have a activity on our church i will just bring my laptop so i can do my Job while worshiping God. I can’t refuse to go in a Church Related Activities because i know i need that. In work you can fulfill your dreams, but in spiritual part only God can fill that. If we have a Big Gathering ill make sure that i will file a leave so i wont miss anything.
Thats all God is Life work is Given by our Lord.Thank him by Serving him!

1 Like

Work vs. God

How not to become a slave of work? I think this is connected with our work-time management or work-balance. We can also consider to ask permission to our boss regarding our spiritual gatherings. Merely, it is important to have time with our personal relationship with God and knowing our priority is the best.

Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men, since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving (Colossians 3:23-24 emphasis mine).

1 Like

Hello for me you dont have to be worry about that just Pray to God because God knows all our Desire and if it is His will He will granted it. Pray for it in ahead of time God will make a way if it is His will just trust God in His timing.

1 Like

Between work and God. You should be in between, you shouldn’t overtaken work over God. God is our priority no matter what. Without God you have no work. God help us how to survive in these world.

1 Like

Hello, dear @cocoyoongie
This is really a worry that I have sometimes… It’s difficult to give priority to God when you need to work to well… Eat and live. What I have always thought is that God is not demanding that you make or change all your plans, just that you don’t forgive him, so you give praise to him by praying and acting a good person and Christian constantly, and when possible do those thing you had planned. God is love, and with his inmense love I’m sure understand and knows the situation of each person. Of course, if you don’t feel right or you are being exploited, don’t t be afraid to fight for your rights, you can always get another work in any case.
Kind regards, Luis Guerrero.

2 Likes

Hi @cocoyoongie I hope you’re having a great day today!
I believe that always being at work or always working is not a hindrance for us to be close to God. He placed us in that position for the betterment of our future. We can always praise God in our own time if we are really busy. God does not demand. He wants us to be successful. It is alright to miss conferences if you really have an important work activity. This does not mean you are not prioritizing Him. As long as you are doing your best in everything you can, God is proud.

1 Like

At a very young age I started to apply for jobs just so I can pay my school fees and not bother my family. I would decline activities my friends are doing just so I can spend more time at work, or sometimes I cannot attend a Bible study because my boss needs me. And yes there are times where my life gets all messy and I would have problems with projects, deadlines, and sometimes I cannot do my daily devotion anymore. I do not believe I am a slave of work, I just think that I should manage my time well. Certain things happen for a reason. We all get confused and overworked sometimes, but I am starting to instill in my mind to always have time for the Lord. We should not be stressed about whether to pick God or work, because first of all, He is not an option rather a priority. Bring God wherever you go. God knows what’s best for us so if you feel confused, ask Him for help.

1 Like

hi @cocoyoongie for me, this is not a slavery, and you made a correct decision.
you are just showing respect for your work, respect to your Boss and respect to God.,
also it is an expression of responsibility.

It is the Lord who gives you the job, He even is the one who give you the salary , the money you spend for the tickets (etc)
by performing a good work on your Job is also proclaiming our faith to others.

if you want to be in the concert, i suggest to plot your Vacation leave as early as the concert date. God bless you