Ephesians 6:13

Continuing from yesterday, I am thinking about Ephesians 6:13 today.

Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand.

3 things can be noted in this verse.

A. Full armor of God
B. Day of Evil
C. Stand your ground

One of the very challenging thing as we read the Bible, especially from the perspective of today’s very -Paul’s letters, it is not quiet easy to catch what he is talking about, unless you read the verse so many times and become familiar with it. The reason is Paul describes a lot about the unseen realities.

One can question, if it is necessary to see the unseen realities. I think it is very important for one to perceive and be aware of the unseen realities as our God Himself is unseen. Without being able to see the unseen realities one might get lost in the world of flesh.

Since it is hard to give words to the spiritual realities, Apostle Paul gives form to those realities through the things that can be seen. While he says put on the armor of God, he doesn’t mean for me to look for a physical armor. Rather armor of God connotes something spiritual and unseen.

As the dark forces (invisible to the eyes of the flesh) from yesterday’s verse attacks us - spiritual beings - we need to have something spiritual in us to protect ourselves from these attacks which we lack most of the times. Therefore we fall during these attacks.

Second he talks about the day of Evil. Day of evil in a personal sense can be the day when my faith is tested by the evil forces.

Third standing your ground. The goal of Satan/dark forces attacking a person is to forget God, desert the faith that I hold on to. Faith is holding on. If I am unable to hold on it is same as losing my faith. Without the armor of God it is impossible to stand on the ground which means I cannot hold on to my faith.

Looking forward to look at the weapons and armor of God from tomorrow.

Amen

Previous (Ephesians 6:12)
Next (Ephesians 6:14 -Belt of Truth)

1 Like

I actually found that when the “arrows” of the evil one (Satan) try to piece my thoughts and heart, which usually comes in the form of temptations that now disgust me anyway since the Spirit of God dwells in me, I can “resist” the devil’s arrows with my shield of faith. What are those things (all the temptations of the world the flesh and the devil, which will ALL pass away) compared to what God gives me which is eternal and GOOD?

A post was merged into an existing topic: My Devotions