Psalm 5 - Today's Devotion

Psalm 5

Psalm 5
For the director of music. For pipes. A psalm of David.
1 Listen to my words, Lord,
consider my lament.
2 Hear my cry for help,
my King and my God,
for to you I pray.

3 In the morning, Lord, you hear my voice;
in the morning I lay my requests before you
and wait expectantly.
4 For you are not a God who is pleased with wickedness;
with you, evil people are not welcome.
5 The arrogant cannot stand
in your presence.
You hate all who do wrong;
6 you destroy those who tell lies.
The bloodthirsty and deceitful
you, Lord, detest.
7 But I, by your great love,
can come into your house;
in reverence I bow down
toward your holy temple.

8 Lead me, Lord, in your righteousness
because of my enemies—
make your way straight before me.
9 Not a word from their mouth can be trusted;
their heart is filled with malice.
Their throat is an open grave;
with their tongues they tell lies.
10 Declare them guilty, O God!
Let their intrigues be their downfall.
Banish them for their many sins,
for they have rebelled against you.
11 But let all who take refuge in you be glad;
let them ever sing for joy.
Spread your protection over them,
that those who love your name may rejoice in you.

12 Surely, Lord, you bless the righteous;
you surround them with your favor as with a shield.

Background

This psalm was given to the choir master, especially to be played along with the piped instrument. This psalm does not have relation to particular event in David’s life but this psalm can fit in almost any time of David’s life for his whole life he was running for his life from his enemies and sometimes his own sons. This psalm particularly speaks a lot about liars who cheated David and he confesses that only God is his refuge. Matthew Henry arranges the psalm in the following way –
I. David’s certainty of God’s response – vs 1, 2, 3.
II. Glory to God and Comfort from God’s holiness – Vs. 4, 5, 6.
III. Resolution of public worship of God – Vs. 7
IV. God’s guidance for him and God’s judgement for his enemies – Vs. 8, 9 & 10.
V. God’s joy and safety to his people – Vs. 11 & 12

The Psalm

Vs 1
David is trying to seek comfort in God by making sure that Lord is listening to his lament. Not just listening but he is praying to God to give careful thought to his lament.

Vs 2
He wants to shout out to the Lord in all of his anguish begging God, crying for help. He knows that God is King and he is above all things. He reminds himself to what kind of God he is praying.

Vs 3
The sweetest prayer of all prayers is the morning prayers. When everyone is asleep and in the quietness of the day and soul, David is sure that Lord is listening to his voice. His prayers are not just words but expectations which is the source of his strength of the day.

Vs 4, 5 & 6
From verses 4-6 David describes the heart and the nature of the unrighteous people and the response of God to these people. God is a holy, right and just God. When wickedness comes in his presence, he hates it with all of his being. He can do nothing but draw himself away from them. The evil people are not welcome with the Lord. This means that the person cannot find peace and rest in God. God does not welcome people with dark intents in their hearts. If a person is not welcomed by God, his life is miserable.

Verse 5 is holding a premise that all humans are sinners and need to have a humble and broken heart when they go infront of God. The people who are arrogant and have a self-righteous attitude cannot stand infront of God. It is easy to think that God is loving God and he accepts and loves sinners. But before God extends his arms of love, he is a God of justice. This defines his being. Therefore he hates sin and sinners and those who do wrong with passion.

God cannot accept liars. He is truth. Humans find freedom and rest when they dwell in truth. Liars change their words from time to time and let others not to rest and dwell in peace. God hates those people and he will destroy them. People who are thirsty for others blood meaning people who are filled with hatred and have deceit in them Lord detests them. He doesnot want these people in from of him.

Vs 7
David wants to talk about God’s mercy to him. God accepts him and allows him to come into his house not because David is righteous but because of God’s great love for him. Because of this great love David wants to bow down towards God’s holy temple.

Vs 8 & 9
Verses 8 and 9 is connected. David pleads with God to show the right path that he should take especially because of his enemies. His enemies are liars that lead him in many different paths that are not right. He says that their tongues are open graves. Following their ways will lead him towards death. Therefore he begs God to show the right way that he should walk.

Vs 10
He wants God to declare them guilty and send them out of his presence because of their sins and their rebellion against God.

Vs 11
But those who takes refuge in God be glad and joyful and ever sing for joy. They have true protection that those who love Gods name may rejoice in him.

Vs 12
The righteous meaning those who seek God in repentance, God will surround them with his favour as protect them with a shield.

Amen

Previous (Psalm 4)
Next(Psalm 6)

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: My Devotions